Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cut from the Same Cloth: A Meaningful Conversation (Finally)

Dad: Truth is, I didn’t do very well in life. You have to work.
Me: But you worked
Dad: That was different
Me: No it isn't. And you were good at what you did.
Dad: True, I’m actually forgetting that
Me: Do you think had you worked harder you would have done something different?
Dad: Mm hmm, but hell you didn’t study either and it didn’t make a difference either way.
Me: What would you have done?
Dad: Either straight management or technical management.
Me: That’s pretty soulless daddy.
Dad: How’s that?
Me: Well, it’s boring as hell and the skill required is kissing the asses of people who don’t deserve it. At least you got to create something in your career.
Dad: In the first place yeah.
Me: Did you like creating?
Dad: Yeah. a lot of my personality is built around it. Dad’s family were engineers, Mom's family ran things. Farms, Dadadadadada.
Me: So why create things?
Dad: Because I don’t think anything else is important, and I'm snobbish about it. My problem is I have to have somebody around me to put my shit together.
Me: Like me?
Dad: Yeah.
Me: I guess that’s what happened, huh.
Dad: Yeah.
Me: Always a pillar, but I’d rather be salt. I’m not trustworthy.
Dad: You’re lazy
Me: Fuck you, I’m not fucking lazy, you’re lazy and you know it.
Dad: I know. Truth is, I hate to admit how dependent I am on my own brain.
Me: What do you mean?
Dad: I wanted to be the great organizer, and I can’t organize. I’m not organized.
Me: Ah dad, all of your dreams have been realized in me
Dad: Actually, a lot of that’s true
Me: I think that’s why you’re attracted to us virgos….your creativity seeking structure. Only I'm not willing to control anyone's life, unlike your mother and mine.
Dad: Because of dad’s being a chemical guy, his behavior isn’t strange to me at all. He’d just go out and invent something that’s pretty much in line with other stuff he invented. And though that makes sense to me in my little world, it probably doesn’t make sense to anyone else.
Me: It makes sense to me

No comments:

Post a Comment